Wednesday, November 12, 2014

The Dating Games

This picture pretty much captures my attitude towards dating
image
This is my first real foray into dating and I’m actually having a lot of fun despite not knowing any rules of the game. Before I go any further, my ego is demanding I mention how touching and inspiring it is to see myself putting myself out there again; to get loved or to get burned by love; and to get my heart undoubtedly smashed by the beauty and terror of dating. Side note: I’d say I’m pretty self-aware and do this often – step out of my own body and watch myself going through the motions as an impartial spectator – don’t look at me that way, it’s not weird at all. It’s exactly what you need to grow out of the paradox of insecurities and arrogance that define youth.

Up until 6 weeks ago, I was in denial about the demise of my relationship. I will admit. I wrote about “waiting” and “trusting your gut” and “crossing your fingers” and “hoping for the best” because honestly, when your buoyfriend leaves you to drown in a pool of desperation, what else can you do? I mean, aside from taking one too many tequila shots and spamming one’s now-exboyfriend’s inbox with psychotic and pleading emails, of course.

He broke up with me because he “didn’t want to be in a relationship”. Seriously, babes? Sometimes, we have to open our discerning eyes and read between the lines. It’s the sole reason we study Literature in high school. He didn’t want to be in a relationship, maybe true; but more specifically and more importantly, he didn’t want to be in a relationship  – here comes the punchline  – with me. Fair enough, but this is a hard-hitting fact to accept. Especially when you know that you’re the best person ever and why doesn’t he realize that? But once the crying is done, organize that messy bleeding heart, jump back on the high horse and wreak havoc. The only way forward is to be reconciled with the past and pursue personal growth (and men with ridiculously chiseled bods) with vigilant optimism, amirite?

Going on dates is both thrilling and stress inducing – mostly stress inducing. What I have to constantly remind myself, in order to Keep Calm and Date On, is that a date isn’t a performance, a competition or an audition for a role; it’s merely a means of getting to know somebody. Nobody should be trying to make a statement or meet some arbitrary standards to prove themselves worthy of a second date, of sex, of a relationship; we’re all in the same boat, just trying to form a meaningful connection with another fellow human being.

And just FYI, if you get invited out or if, heaven forbid, you should ask someone out and they say “yes”, half the battle has already been won. People – gonna make a sweeping statement now, but generally – don’t go on dates with people they don’t like. In fact, it’s quite the opposite; people go out with people they are interested in and want to get to know. Now comes the groundbreaking revelation: your date wants everything to go well just as badly as you do. So don’t worry about that stupid piece of salami that was supposed to go gracefully into your mouth but ended up falling into your lap. You are still the cool, witty, charming person they’ve been hoping to meet. And honestly, you’re both hoping for the same thing. As the saying goes, may the odds be ever in your favor.